Save the Pumpkin!!
Pumpkin is a member of the squash family. In addition to carving a pumpkin this week, make a healthy soup. This is a great way to enhance your carotenoid (Vitamin A) and fiber levels. Carotenoids are a type of antioxidants, shown to reduce the risk for cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx and lung. Enjoy!
• 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
• 4 cups pumpkin puree (butternut squash can be substituted)
• 1 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
• 2 Tbsp light whipping cream (optional)
• 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
• Nutmeg to taste
• Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, over medium-high heat add 3 cups broth, pumpkin, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes. Add remaining broth as desired. Stir in cream (optional).
Pour into bowls. Garnish with parsley and nutmeg and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition per serving: 71 Calories, 1 gram fat, 16 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams protein
For more information: www.preventcancer.aicr.org