South Florida Radiation Oncology offers the most technologically advanced cancer treatment options so you can get back to living your life.
We provide you and your family member with a team to help you navigate and decide upon the best course of treatment for you. Our experienced, board-certified physicians are here to deliver the best possible care with the most cutting edge technology.
If you've been diagnosed with a tumor in or near your Spine, it can be overwheming. SFRO can offer you hope with the newest radiation therapy treatments available.
According to the National Cancer Institute, every year approximately 1 million new cases of cancer are diagnosed and the skeletal system, including the spine, is the 3rd most frequent area to which it spreads.
The most common types of cancer that form in the spine or musculoskeletal area of the body are both cancerous and non-cancerous and include the following:
- Multiple Myeloma. These round cell tumors are the most common type of bone cancer in adults. Patients are usually older, between the ages of 50 and 80.
- Lymphoma. These round cell tumors are most likely of the non-Hodgkin’s type and are often found in multiple areas of the body.
- Ewing’s Sarcoma. This is a highly malignant round cell tumor most often found in children. Most are located in the sacrum area of the spine.
Spinal tumors can also be caused by cancer that has spread from other areas of the body.
For more detailed information about spinal tumors and cancers that are found in the spine go to http://www.cancer.gov.
We offer the following cutting edge treatments for tumors found in the spine or musculoskeletal area:
The CyberKnife System:
It's sub-milimeter accuracy is a crucial factor when treating spinal tumors, due to the ability for the CyberKnife to pinpoint a very small area
for treatment.The sparing of healthy tissue in areas surrounding the spine is vitally important. The goal is to kill the cancer cells so they don't spread further into
other areas of the body.
- The CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery System is pain free, non-invasive - no incisions, no side effects.
- With the CyberKnife, no frame is required to keep the head motionless.
- It is offered as an outpatient procedure so you experience an almost immediate return to normal activity. For more information on CyberKnife click here.
- The TrueBeam STx combines imaging, sophisticated and powerful beam delivery and advanced motion management to deliver a prescribed radiation dose from nearly every angle. The treatment time can be done in minutes depending upon the size, location and type of tumor or area being treated.
- Patient movement is not an issue, as the TrueBeam can correct at each delivery throughout treatment.
- Clinicians at can develop treatments that are best suited for patient's individual circumstances with greater precision.
- For more information on Truebeam STx, see Our Technologies section or click here.
For more information about Spine Cancer treatment options please click here.